October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). In 1987 the first DVAM was observed. That same year marks the initiation of the first domestic violence toll-free hotline, and in 1989, the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 101-112 designating October as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Since then, DV advocates and survivors have continued the fight to raise awareness and support the thousands of affected women, men, and children.
According to the National Network to End Domestic Violence, 67,646 adults and children found safety and help at 1,697 domestic violence programs across the United States and U.S. Territories. Many victims seek help at the most critical time, they are in danger and flee when they have no other option but to save themselves and/or the lives of their children. This year, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority reported that Domestic Violence is the third leading cause of homelessness in Los Angeles – tonight thousands of women and men will sleep in their cars or on streets, many times with their children, to flee abuse.
This October stand with Haven Hills against domestic violence, and stand with the thousands of women, men, and children who depend on us. Throughout the month of October help Haven Hills raise awareness.
Here is what you can do:
- Make a donation to Haven Hills in honor of someone you know who has been impacted by domestic violence.
- Join us October 24, 2015 for our Shelter Clean Out Day, for more information contact Jill Dupont at email@example.com or call 818.887.7481 Ext.10
- Change your social media profile and photos to a purple ribbon to show your support. Follow-us on Facebook and Twitter, share our messages of hope and learn more about the facts of domestic violence.
- Attend one of our many partner community events to promote DVAM; check out our calendar for more information.
- October 11 10AM – 5PM: Stop by our table at the annual Taste of Encino, learn more about Haven Hills and how you can help.